Persimmon Hollow, quite possibly Broken Arrow’s best kept secret, reopened its doors in April, 2010, after having sat idle for a number of years. Located at 6927 South 115th E. Ave St. in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, it is now home to artists, craftsmen and a number of eclectic little shops offering many unique items for sale. But it’s the actual history of the place that contributes to its charm and gives it a life of its own.
It was built in the early 1960’s by Felix Graves as a private museum, which he fashioned after an 1880’s western frontier town. He built it for his wife, “Babe”, who loved antiques, and as a place to show off his classic car collection. Babe loved the color of persimmons, thus the name “Persimmon Hollow Antique Village” was born.
It was “the” place to bring the family and spend the day strolling along Main Street – among the trees and fresh air, past the grist mill with its’ working water wheel, the hotel, school house, general store, the bank, the jail, and a covered bridge which crossed over the creek that runs through the property. After some time, Felix sold Persimmon Hollow to Roy and Dorothy Baker.
The Baker’s operated the property for some 28 years, during which time it became the home to 45 antique dealers, and remained a much-loved place by the locals. The Bakers’ retired after selling the property to the current owner, Bill Darnell, in 2006.
Bill re-opened the property in April, 2010 as Persimmon Hollow Village after a great deal of “clean up.” Much has already been done in refurbishing the storefronts along Main Street as new shop-owners move in, and much more restoration is planned. The covered bridge that once crossed the creek was in such ill repair that it had to be torn down, but plans are to rebuild. The old grist mill building, which was called the “the coke mill”, has been restored with a new working water wheel. It is 9′ in diameter and weighs 600lbs. It is now called the Waterwheel Cafe. Is is a small snack and beverage shop.
Some of what Persimmon Hollow Village now has to offer is 16 buildings built with an western village theme, located on 3 acres with a 330′ long , 1880′s “Main Street” with around 20 specialty shops featuring a large Flea Market, antiques, collectibles, arts & crafts, with onsite craftsmen, including glass carver/etcher, , a quilter, a weaver, a bird house maker, with new and vintage jewelry, shabby chic’ furniture, ceramics and painting classes, local honey jams and jellies and much more.
We have a childrens playround area and we` are pet friendly, on leashes.
We have several festivals during the year including our “12 Days of Christmas” shopping spree each December, for 4 weekends starting with “Black Friday” after Thanksgiving. gk our website and facebook by the same name under events for a full listin.
We rent out booth spaces and whole bldgs up to 1280 sq. ft. year around, and for each of these events. starting april 30, 2014, we are open 5 days/wk. wed thru sunday 10-5 pm , yr around, except major holidays.
Although Persimmon Hollow Village is an ongoing, evolving work in progress, one thing remains the same: you will feel like you’ve stepped back in time about 100 years to an era that was slower paced, easy-going, and friendly. Come on out and see us! we are located 1 block east, and 1 block north of 71st and garnett , behind the Salvation Army s store. like us on our Facebook. persimmonhollowvillage.com 918 857 6294